Wednesday, November 16, 2005

Welcome

We're a homeschooling family, eclectic in our ways, with a love of God and the Catholic Church that permeates all we do. We're different than public schools -- we party when it's a feast day or special day for the Church; we don't have homework, we work at home; we treat each child as a marvelous gift from God that we have on loan for a while -- a while which gives us time to train up the human person as we believe God would have us train him or her up.

I'm the matriarch -- Mary. As the movie "My Big Fat Greek Wedding" says, "the man is the head but the woman is the neck ....and she can turn the head of the man any time she wants." I only use this "power" on occasion, deciding instead to let Rick take his rightful place as head of the family. I'm well-educated, a woman of the 80s who has had her career, been widowed and generally lived long enough to know that God prefers things a certain way -- and I'm (usually) happy to comply.

I love to write and work with writing and writers. I'm a writing consultant for http://www.writeguide.com and enjoy the students and the challenge immensely. I've also started a monthly column in our Diocesan paper, The Catholic Miscellany, which discusses read alouds for the family. I've also written for periodicals such as NCRegister, The Catholic Faith (sadly, now defunct), Homiletic and Pastoral Review, and Catholic World Reporter. I enjoy doing reviews of books and homeschooling materials, some of which I'll post here.

Blessings to all!
Mary

No comments: