Thursday, December 06, 2007

Swaps: Holiday Traditions

On my knitting blog, I recently mentioned all the swaps for which I've signed up this year. One is particularly appropriate to mention here on this blog.


The Holiday Traditions exchange was organized by Meg McElwee at Montessori-by-Hand -- an excellent blog about doing the Montessori thing without losing your shirt or busting the budget! The "rules" were to:
1.) One handmade holiday decoration. Decorations made from any kind of
medium are acceptable – from fabric to yarn, paper to paint.
2.) Your
favorite holiday recipe.
3.) A “Tradition” Tutorial. This is description of
one of your family’s special holiday traditions. If needed, you should provide
step by step instructions. (For example, if your family makes graham cracker
candy houses each year, you would provide more concrete instructions.) You might
also consider sending along a couple of photos of the tradition in action.

Well, I really got into this swap. And, since I sent my kit off yesterday, I thought I'd unveil it here ....

I created a binder (one of those 5x8 size) and did pages on our Advent, Christmas Eve and Christmas Day celebrations, and Christmas-time (or the 12-days of Christmas). The pages are packed with recipes, Saints feast days and other fun things we do to make the whole season come alive. This binder was packed in its own (hand-decorated) canvas bag and I attached a hand-knitted (of course!) ornament to the package.

I'm hoping my swap partner enjoys reading about our traditons -- maybe she'll incorporate some of ours into her own holiday traditons!

Starting tomorrow -- and for the next few days, I'll post some of the info I compiled so that my readers can see what we do.

No comments: