Here are some links to the Pontiff's schedule and events surrounding his visit:
- Catholic Faith Education has compiled some sites of interest, including links to a series done by Ave Maria Press as background information.
- EWTN has created a separate section on their website with lots of articles and links about the Pontiff, his visit and other bits of info.
- Link to the Pontiff's message to the US before coming today.
- Our Sunday Visitor's site with lots of info/coverage of the visit.
- Pflaum's site has lots of activities and stuff for the kiddoes (thanks Marilyn W.)
Here's the Pope's schedule (note all times are Mountain Time - 2hrs earlier than EDT):
- Tuesday, April 15 at 2:00 p.m. ARRIVAL - Pope Benedict XVI arrives at Andrews Air Force Base and is greeted by President and Mrs. Bush, local dignitaries of the Church, and the apostolic nuncio.
- Wednesday, April 16 at 8:00 a.m. THE WHITE HOUSE -- Pope Benedict XVI is received by President and Mrs. Bush at a White House welcoming ceremony, followed by a private meeting between the President and the Pope, and the dignitaries of the two states.
- Wednesday, April 16 at 3:00 p.m. ADDRESS TO THE BISHOPS OF THE UNITED STATES -- Pope Benedict XVI gathers with the bishops of the United States for a prayer service and address at the Basilica of the National Shrine of the Immaculate Conception in Washington, DC.
- Thursday, April 17 at 7:30 a.m. MASS AT NATIONAL STADIUM, WASHINGTON DC -- Pope Benedict XVI offers Mass at the new Nationals Baseball Park in Washington D.C.
- Thursday, April 17 2:30 p.m. MEETING WITH EDUCATORS AT CATHOLIC UNIVERSITY OF AMERICA -- Pope Benedict XVI will address hundreds of Catholic University heads and diocesan superintendents on the importance Catholic education at the Catholic University of America.
- Thursday, April 17 4:00 p.m. MEETING WITH EDUCATORS AT POPE JOHN PAUL II CULTURAL CENTER -- Pope Benedict XVI meets with representatives of various religions for a prayer service at the John Paul II Cultural Center in Washington D.C.
- Friday, April 18, 7:30 a.m. ARRIVAL -- NYCArrival at JFK International Airport.
- Friday, April 18, 8:30 a.m. ADDRESS AT THE UN -- Pope Benedict XVI will address the United Nations,
- Friday, April 18, 3:00 p.m. VISIT TO SYNAGOGUE & ECUMENICAL MEETING AT ST. JOSEPH’S CHURCH, MANHATTAN -- Visit to Park East Synagogue and prayer service with leaders from other Christian denominations at St. Joseph's, founded by German Catholics, in Manhattan.
- Saturday, April 19, 7:00 a.m. MASS AT ST. PATRICK’S CATHEDRAL, NYC -- Mass for priests, deacons and members of religious orders at St. Patrick¹s Cathedral in the heart of New York City.
- Saturday, April 19, 2:00 p.m. MEETING WITH YOUTH AT DUNWOODIE SEMINARY -- Pope Benedict XVI meets with thousands of young people from around the country; the event includes a rally/prayer service and a speech from the Pope.
- Sunday, April 20, 7:00 a.m. VISIT TO GROUND ZERO -- Pope Benedict XVI visits the former World Trade Center site known as Ground Zero in New York City.
- Sunday, April 20, 12:00 Noon HOLY MASS AT YANKEE STADIUM, NYC -- Pope Benedict XVI celebrates Holy Mass at Yankee Stadium in New York bringing his historic U.S. visit to a close.
- Sunday, April 20, 5:30 p.m. DEPARTURE -- Pope Benedict XVI leaves the US.
That is one grueling schedule! But what a wonderful chance for so many to see, hear and meet with the head of the Catholic Church! We'll have to follow his visit online and through transcripts of his talks (why couldn't he have come in June when we'll be back that-a-way!) -- but we'll take a hiatus from our regular school days to do a unit on this man who is the heir to the Chair of St. Peter!