Monday, June 02, 2008

Connie: Joy personified

There are some people you meet in life who deeply affect your thinking ... your personality ... your dreams for the future.

Connie is such a woman.

I met her a year-and-a-half ago. We were introduced at our parish Altar and Rosary luncheon. She was about 4'10", a bit wizened, white-haired and smiling.

I will always remember that smile ... it's easy to remember Connie's smile as she always smiled. She smiled at my kids when we were at daily Mass. She smiled at the parish picinic as she delicately sipped her Coors Light. She smiled as we sang "Happy Birthday" on her 94th birthday. She smiled as she told me about her six-week visit to England this past January to see one of her daughters. She smiled as she told me about the moves she and her husband made over the years, ending up here in Denver.

She always smiled.

About 10 days ago, Connie went to morning Mass, met friends for lunch and came home. As she prayed her afternoon rosary, Connie had a heart attack and died peacefully... with a smile on her face as she went to greet her God.

Connie taught me so much in the short-time I knew her ... she taught me to smile through adversity, fear and distress ... she taught me to love the life God gives me ... to trust that God will always put me where I need to be ... she taught me to see joy in everything.

She taught me to smile ... always!

Eternal rest grant unto her, O Lord
and may the perpetual light shine upon her.
May her soul,
and all the souls of the faithful departed,
through the mercy of God rest in peace.
Amen.
Connie, I will always remember your smile!

2 comments:

Alice Gunther said...

A beautiful tribute.

Leonie said...

What a lovely tribute - and how nice to be remembered for a smile.