Friday, March 13, 2009

Charity: A great cause to pray for and support!

The following letter is from a teacher at dh's high school. As many of you know, my first husband died of lymphoma 17 years ago and we all know many people who are suffering from cancer right now. This is such a worthy cause ... and I hope you'll be able to donate in some way to this cause.


Dear Family and Friends,

Many of you who know me well understand my passion for good health and my desire to run for fun. The idea of running for fun can definitely sound a little foreign, but I’ve felt very drawn recently to run for a different reason. I'm training to participate in the Country Music Half Marathon in Nashville as a member of The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society's (LLS) Team In Training. All of us on Team In Training are raising funds to help stop leukemia, lymphoma, Hodgkin lymphoma and myeloma from taking more lives.

Personally, I am running in honor of my cousin, Kevin, who was diagnosed very recently with Leukemia and a good friend of mine’s father, Jim, and for all individuals who are battling blood cancers. I’m including a link below to both Kevin’s progress and daily journals which he updates with great detail. I’m inspired by his strength, attitude, and grace in all of this in his pursuit to return to Cornell University where he previously attended as soon as possible.
The Leukemia and Lymphoma Society (LLS) is the world's largest voluntary health organization dedicated to funding blood cancer research and providing education and patient services. Over $600 million in research has been raised since 1949 - over $71 million in 2008 - specifically targeting leukemia, lymphoma and myeloma. Last year alone, LLS made 6.3 million contacts with patients, caregivers and healthcare professionals.

The idea of joining this team and sending out letters is a leap of faith. I have faith that this purpose and cause will help in some way to the people fighting these diseases, their families, and to the doctors offering care. I thank you for your prayers and support and ask you to offer up any kind of donation and hope to support this mission.

I’m also including a website which can keep you updated on the fundraising progress and allow instant access to make donations. Please feel free to visit the websites as often as you please as the goal to reach the $3600 goal by April 25th will be monitored. You also have received an addressed envelope to the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society which can also be used as a means of direct donation.

Thank you again and God bless!

Maureen Pfahler
http://pages.teamintraining.org/va/cmc09/mpfahler

http://kballantine.wordpress.com/

No comments: