Tuesday, February 27, 2007

Another argument for teaching kids at HOME!

Thanks to a post on Semicolon's blog, I found out yet another reason why I really like Harper Lee, author of the classic southern novel, To Kill a Mockingbird (a book EVERYONE should read at least once and a movie, starring Gregory Peck, that EVERYONE should see at least once)

Here's what Ms. Lee says about schooling:

I could only look around me: Atticus and my uncle, who went to school at home, knew everything —at least what one didn’t know the other did. . .

As for me, I knew nothing except what I gathered from Time magazine and reading everything I could lay hands on at home, but as I inched sluggishly along the treadmill of the Maycomb County school system, I could not help receiving the impression that I was being cheated out of something. Out of what I knew not, yet I did not believe that twelve years of unrelieved boredom was exactly what the state had in mind for me.



Sounds like a fabulous example of the benefits of living/loving/learning in the home, doesn't it?

4 comments:

Theresa said...

Excellent! I am SO glad that right now my ds is outside digging up soil samples in order to do some real learning instead of sitting in a classroom gathering dust!

Leonie said...

What a great qute! Thomas (14) recently read To Kill A Mockingbird, it was on his Kumon worksheets. I am on the lookout for the movie for him..

I love coming to your blog for reminders and inspiration. :-)

Mary G said...

Yes, Leonie -- turn-about is fair play -- I go to yours for lots of helps too!

Blessings.....;-]

Leonie said...

Oh, and I have tagged you for a Thinking Blogger Award - if you care to participate :-), well, the details are on my blog...