Monday, February 26, 2007

First Full Week of Lent

Sunday's Gospel reading (Luke 4:1-13) talks about Jesus' time in the desert - 40 days of fasting and prayer, 40 days of mostly being tempted by Satan to alter God's plan, 40 days of being very human. Why? For us; to save us from our sins...

How cool is that?

And what does God ask in return? For us to spend 40 days fasting and praying and sacrificing; 40 days of ignoring the lure of the secular world; 40 days of trying to die to ourselves.

Don't get me wrong -- it's hard to fast, it's hard to sacrifice, it's hard to give up the things I WANT. But, in the long run, it makes me a better person, a better mom and wife, and it brings me a step closer to living the life God wants me to live. And we GET TO DO THIS every year. We get a "new lease on life" each Lenten season.

How cool is that?

No comments: