Wednesday, April 11, 2007

This was a GREAT read-aloud

There are times when I find a book that someone somewhere has recommended and I think, "gee, the kids really need to hear this one." It could be on a topic far from anything we're doing and I just feel the call to go ahead anyway.

Stone Fox by John Reynolds Gardiner was this type of book. For no apparent reason (to my littles anyway), I decided to read this to them today. It's not a long book -- took a little over an hour to read to them. Gardiner based his story on an old Rocky Mountain legend he'd heard.

This book is so well-written that my 8yo Lego-Maniac was crying with me as we came to the end of the book. This is a kid who has never owned a pet, never had anyone really close to him die or be real sick -- and yet, Gardiner's writing is so powerful, it moved my son (someone who doesn't normally cry at anything!). The story is exciting and emotional and evocative and full of great things to talk about. It's about not giving up, having faith, and willingly sacrificing for a good cause.

It's an amazing read!

No comments: