Saturday, January 31, 2009

Recipe: Apple Orange Bread

Last night, being a Friday, we went meatless and "orange-themed": homemade mac'n'cheese, raw carrots, apple-orange bread with butter. It was a great meal but the point of this post is the amazing apple-orange bread.

I was going to make a pumpkin bread for supper; with cream cheese, it's a sensational complement to a meatless meal. However, when checking my recipes, I found a copy of "Virginia's Apple Orange Bread". I have no idea where I got this recipe ... but I must have printed it from somewhere as it has all kinds of personal notes. I tweaked it a bit for my family and it was an amazing addition to dinner (which was a good thing as the homemade mac'n'cheese lacked ... something!) Here's the recipe we made.
==========

Virginia's Apple Orange Bread (makes 2 loaves)
(preheat oven to 350)

Put in blender:

  • 1/2 cup salad oil
  • 1/2 cup orange juice
  • 1-1/3 cup white sugar
  • 2 eggs
Blend well
  • Add 2 apples, cored, chunked, not peeled
  • Add 1 orange, cut, seeded, but include peel
Blend for 2 minutes on medium
  • 1 cup golden raisins
  • 1/2 cup nuts

Blend all for a further 15 seconds

Sift into separate bowl:

  • 2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1 tsp soda
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 1 tsp cloves

Stir the blended fruit mixture into dry ingredients with a wooden spoon just until mixed. Overstirring will make an overly dry bread. Spray two regular sized loaf pans with oil. Put mixture in them.
Bake at 350 for 45 minutes. Cool and remove from pans. These freeze very well. The bread is delicious with butter, cream cheese or even plain.
==========
If you know where I got this recipe ... for instance, if it's yours ... please note that it in the comments below. It's so good and I want to give credit where it's due!

No comments: